Sunday, August 9, 2015

Week 3 Recap

August arrived, and the first nine days have flown by. I'm not sure I've been as actively "focused" on my five areas this week, or just swept away by the currents of activity. Either way, it's been busy.

You'll recall my five areas of focus this year: Faith, Family, Friends, Fitness, and Finished Projects. So far, Fitness is definitely getting the short end of the stick, although I include things like adequate rest, stress management, and sunshine in that category, so this week was better than the previous two.

On August 1, our entire tribe made a trek to the North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro. We've lived in NC for 11 years, and this was the first time we've gone to the zoo! It's about a three hour drive from where we live, so it took some coordination and planning. We chose a great day--HOT, but beautiful weather--and managed to get all 8 of our gang, plus two other sets of nearly-family (pseudo-family? quasi-family?) to all go with us. My dear Mallory bit off the large task of making everyone a t-shirt, custom-drawn with each person's animal of choice, and Dennis and I made the trip with Maggie & Matt. What a fun day! We laughed, snacked and cuddled our way all around the zoo. We walked all day, made reasonable food choices, and got lots of fresh air and sunshine. I'd call zoo day a "win" in the fitness category!









On August 2, we had a great worship experience in the morning, then Dennis and I *finally* made a flight over to Howard's Pub on Ocracoke Island for lunch. Typically we'd like to fly over several times a year, but this spring has been so wet and the weather has been so inconsistent...and then we've had lots of company. It was a fun flight over, a marvelous lunch of fresh wahoo and crab cakes, and then a great trip home that even gave us time to nap when we got back!




Monday I did some quick house prep for my family (including grocery-stocking), and then continued working on my Celtic Solstice project. I got a lot of pieces sewn while catching up with my dearest friends at quilting on Monday night. It'll feel great to finish the Celtic Solstice project this month!



My brother and his girls traveled to Virginia Beach for the Jr. Olympics track events, where his older daughter had qualified to run in the 800m, 1500m, and 4x800m relay. She ran Monday and Tuesday, then they came down to our house for a short but wonderful visit Tuesday-Thursday. They came 3 years ago to meet our first granddaughter Gingersnap, then came again the following summer for Maggie's wedding, but it was so good for them to come and meet Gumdrop, who turned 7 months old while they were here. We had lots of family fun while they were in town. We ate too much (another Yoder's trip, another Creamery trip!), drank too much (so weird to have a house full of adults), laughed just the right amount...and marveled at how tall everyone is getting and how much older we must be. This one is from 2012...


What a difference three years makes! 2015...




I spent Thursday and Friday and Saturday with my Gingersnap. Like parents of young children everywhere, her mommy was feeling a bit sleep deprived, so we had Grams-sleepovers for two nights, and we binge-watched a lot of cartoons (including introducing her to Fraggle Rock), as well as lots of playtime. She earned a great mask and a date out to Five Guys with her marvelous behavior. She's growing up fast.




I'd say the big wins for this week personally were the Family and Friends categories. We were so busy just enjoying each other all week. It kept my kitchen hopping and my sewing machines very deprived.

On the other hand, I met with a new customer on Saturday, who commissioned me to finish eight quilts that her mother had pieced but was unable to complete before she passed away several years ago. Five of them are very large (queen or king-sized) quilts, with three smaller art pieces. I'll get to work on those during September and October. I already have August full, so I'm just a few pieces away from finishing out my 2015 calendar at Island Time Quilting. What a joy it has been to work from home, around my life and family and doing exactly what I adore.

What's up for next week? I'll be finishing a couple of projects for clients, and piecing the Celtic Solstice for myself, as well as quilting two pieces I have prepared for the frame. I will pick up my new workbook for Community Bible Study, and praying for the women who will be in my Core Group this year. I cannot wait to see what the Lord teaches me through this year's study. We'll have Greenville Quilters Guild on Thursday, including a "yard sale" where if I'm good, I may have a few things to sell or trade. :) And next weekend, I'll travel with Dennis to Virginia for a fun family reunion, and get to visit with his parents (who I hope are coming here the following week!). Onward and upward...week four will be as busy as ever.

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment