Thursday, January 9, 2014

Quilting Quietly

I had every intention of participating in "Wordless Wednesday" yesterday by posting a picture on the blog. Never got around to it, so my wordlessness was pictureless as well. After Bible study last night, I ended my day with a fun read: 101 Most Influential Characters that Never Lived. A neat list of fictional characters that changed history, including Hester Prynne, Lady Chatterly, and Buffy. And a bunch of others. I may be in love with Scribd, my new "NetFlix for books" reading app that allows me to read all sorts of things that are normally outside my desire to pay for...it's more like having a library to browse.

I spent yesterday working on UFO1 of the new year. I have planned four of my unfinished quilting projects for this month's calendar, and actually scheduled them so that I could get them done. Happily, I'm right on schedule with the first one. It took all day to get the borders attached and the backing ironed and the binding pieced, but it was in the frame and ready to go first thing this morning.

Of course, first thing this morning was "The Challenge," day four of  P90X3, a pull-up and push-up routine that made noodles of my arms, and pretty much ensured I won't be lifting even a tea mug tomorrow. Then after our workout, our typical breakfast of egg, bacon, avocado and banana. I'd worry that we were in a breakfast rut, but sometimes we mix it up with an omelet or scrambled eggs with spinach and sausage. One thing we have noticed is how our daily workouts ensure we drink enough water. Both of us drank two bottles while we worked out this morning, and I had two more through the course of the day, along with several cups of hot tea.

Anyway, Dennis had several appointments today, so he was out and about running errands, and I had the day to myself. I set up my frame, chose my thread, and got ready to stitch. The pattern I'm quilting is more intricate that I'd expected, but lovely, and so it took a long time to get the first row in place. Then I realized I'd have to wind a bobbin after every row! I think it's worth it, but time will tell.

The second row gave me challenges, however. I didn't pay close enough attention to placement, and it was nearly an inch below where I'd like for it to be. By the time I caught it, I had about a foot of stitching to unsew, or as quilters call it "Frogging" because we rip it, rip it. I frogged for longer than I wanted to, but began again about three hours later. I took a break in the middle to eat the last of the venison chili and a blood orange. So delicious. And somehow in all the quilting and frogging, I also managed to do all our laundry.

I had a student to tutor this afternoon. I've had so many Algebra 2 and College Algebra students this year. I find that tutoring is the best of both worlds for me. I get to breathe a little math, and I don't have to grade anything. Plus, with just in time tutoring, students are motivated to learn.

Tonight we had a great dinner of sweet potato fries (in coconut oil), wilted spinach, and venison sausage. It was delightful. Dennis always ends his evening meal with a smoothie, but I rarely need anything after dinner. We have very different metabolisms. I'm grateful that he's home with me, because many days, he is the only reason I eat.

After dinner, I've settled in to get the quilt "halfway" quilted. I mainly like to get the top off the floor, if possible. I've begun floating my tops on the frame, and I really like that. I only roll the backing fabric on the rollers (the belly roller and the uptake roller), and I just lay the batting and top on there to float until it's quilted down.

In the Bible reading for today, Abraham and Sarah again, plus much foretelling of Jesus' death and resurrection, and the apostles don't get it. It's okay. I don't get it most of the time either.

That's all for today. Quilting, Laundry, Exercise, Food...a little Jim Dale reading to me while I stitch. Ordered more thread (and hope I don't run out of the thread I'm using on this quilt before the new spool arrives!). Tomorrow looks very similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment